- Lead litigation counsel whereby client received multimillion dollar award arising from breach of exclusive global distributorship agreement.
- Key Team Leader for $100M disposition of cutting edge satellite and space system manufacturer under tight deadlines resulting in favorable terms for client.
- Successful litigation leading to favorable settlement regarding misappropriation by a state university of client’s proprietary algebra lessons.
- Successful design and launch of intellectual property protection, branding strategies and licensing programs to drive sales for gasoline/convenience store client operating nationally.
- Negotiated and secured $20M sale of global personal care company after unexpectedly assuming control of closing following contentious interference by buyer’s international counsel.
- Global responsibility for intellectual property affairs of Fortune 500 Company, including extensive identification, clearance, registration, licensing and enforcement of over twenty four hundred trademarks.
- Negotiated and secured from the Bahaman government a six-year $100M management operations agreement for the Grand Bahama International Airport.
- Initiated and completed numerous real estate dispositions, including numerous Greyhound Bus stations with widespread environmental issues.
- Drove the complex multi-million dollar brand sponsorship transition for corporate cruise line client from Walt Disney to Warner Brothers.
- Key leader regarding the acquisition, launch and brand strategies of numerous new product lines including reacquisition of flagship shampoo line for corporate client.
- Successful clearance, registration, acquisition and licensing rights in copyrightable works for various local artists.
Education and Honors
- California Western School of Law, San Diego, CA - J.D. Degree
- University of Colorado, Boulder, CO - B.S. Degree in Finance
- Award of Second Prize in Nathan Burkan Memorial Competition which is a national writing competition (presented by American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers) for a Meritorious Paper on the Subject of Copyright Law in 1980.
- Awarded California Western School of Law Faculty Award (Copyright Award), 1981
Admissions and Affiliations
- Colorado, 1982
- Arizona, 1989
- U.S. District Court District of Colorado, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals 10th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. District Court District of Arizona, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals Federal Circuit, 1995
Publications and Speeches
John writes on subjects related to his expertise and is a frequent speaker at seminars for clients and fellow professionals:
- Authored two chapters (Colorado Fictitious Name Statutes and Colorado Right of Publicity) for inclusion in the United States Trademark Association State Trademard Law Handbook (1986).
- Jury Instructions In Intellectual Property Cases, Bigfoot Press, Three Volumes - Annually since 1982, (Co-editor)
- Copyrights Explained, Greenberg Traurig LLP Presentation, 2000
- Domain Names and Trademarks Compared, Enterprise Network Presentation, 2001
- Intellectual Property Law Basics, State Bar of Arizona Seminar, 2002
- Conflicts in Cyberspace -- Strategies for Trademark Owners, (Co-author), Illinois CLE publication, 2002
- Legal Pitfalls in Cyberspace, 2003 Maricopa County Bar Association CLE Seminar, 2003
- Avoiding Conflicts of Interests, Winsor Law Firm PLC Presentation, 2005
- Protecting Your Business And Brand Names, Davis Miles PLLC Presentation, 2007
- “Can My Website Get Me In Trouble?” Internet Publication, 2008
- Intellectual Property Law Primer, Davis Miles, PLLC Presentation, 2008 and 2009
- "What Is Fair Use?" Interview subject for Internet Publication, WebProNews.com, 2010